Monday, July 12, 2010

50th Anniversary Cake!


This weekend I discovered that when you mix Cake + 50 years + family, you'll have a Banana of a good time. My grandparents just had their 50th wedding anniversary this weekend and boy, was it a hoot!  Ok, 50 years is a pretty intense long time. 

Just this past 5 years has gone by in a jiffy.  I was trying to think of what I've done in the last 5 years.  Here's the list I came up with:

- Taken 31 537 000 breaths. Yes, I went there. Would you believe I counted each one as it happened? I hope you don't.

- Moved about 8 times. That's university life for ya!

- Played about 2500+ hours of volleyball (no jokes I started counting but then realized I needed to get a life)

- Worked 5 different jobs & have been to 4 different schools (High school, college & 2 Universities)


I can't believe just 5 years made all these things happen. I can't even imagine 50... of being married no less. I'm so proud of my grandparents! They are some pretty special people.

So anyways, I decided to bake a cake .. the least I could do!  I told you before I was using my grandma's boquet from her wedding.. that was pretty fun.


The bottom layer was 12", then 9", then a 6" on top.

Butter pecan.. mmm..
Good choice Bri.

Ice that baby up.

Fondant. You bet.

This is super sticky stuff! I was constantly throwing icing sugar the counter so it wouldn't stick. Well, maybe not throwing, that could have got a little out of hand. But it probably would have been a lot of fun.

Next time I'll remember.  Throw icing sugar.

Ya, smooth it out to see all the imperfections. Great.

But there.. all better!

A couple hours later.. and voila, cake is served!

The massive but incredibly yummy carrot cake. We needed to feed lots of people, ok?

Oh the memories...!

My mother just told me 2 seconds ago that,"Time waits for no one." I think she was referring to how late it is already tonight. But I decided it fits here too.





4 comments:

  1. This looks awesome bri - you're getting better at these cakes all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!!!!
    It turned out splendidly!!!!! Can you make my wedding cake???? lol.
    You are so amazing at this!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aret the cake master, Bri! I didn't know they just celebrated their 50th! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks incredible! I need to start playing with fondants I think. Well done! - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...