Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Granolee-olee Bars


Fooooze-ball season is startin.  It sure is.

In fact, it was on the TV the other day.  I was casually flipping through the channels the other day, I happened to stop on the game to see how the grand 'ol Roughriders were doing.

They were playing along very nicely, and my dear old grandpa goes "Where's the rest of him?"
I said, "The rest of who?"
"They said they only had a quarterback."

Ah ha ha. Good one grandpa. Good one.  I'm sure I could send that little anecdote to Reader's Digest.

In the mean time, I will eat granola. I might even eat it when it is made in to little bars full of deliciousness.



Special-K, Rice Krispies, take your pick.



Throw some other good stuff in the bowl : crazins, coconut, oatmeal, pecans.


Boil some syrup til its in the hard ball stage. A good way to tell if it's ready is to drop a bit in some cold water and if it's like taffy when the water is emptied, it is done!



Put it in a dish.  I first put it into a 9x13, but that was too small, so I transferred to a 10 x 15. Much better and  thinner bars.




I've found a good way to press it in there is with a piece of wax paper with a little margarine on it so it won't stick. Then mold it how you want.  This is good for puffed wheat and rice krispie squares too.




Voila!





Granola Bars

3 1/2 cup Rice Krispies (or Special K)
1 1/2 cup Oatmeal
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped crazins
1/4 cup coconut

Syrup
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar

Melt syrup on low, bring to boil & bring to hard ball stage.  Pour syrup over the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Stir well, press into pan & let cool.  Remove from pan once cool and cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...